||Child's Play Organic Lawns
||Chemical Lawn Companies
- Food-grade ingredients
- Nutrients are slowly released & non-burning
- Promotes breakdown of thatch
- Very low salt content
- Promotes high soil microorganism population
- Lasts for months
- Quick release chemicals
- Easily burns lawns
- Promotes excessive thatch
- High chemical salt content
- Tends to sterilize soil
- Gone after 30 days
||Safe, natural pre-emergent herbicide.
||Dangerous synthetic pre-emergent herbicide.
- Creeping Charlie
- Wild Violets
|There is NO organic equivalent to selective chemical herbicides that kill weeds without killing turf-grass. Broadleaf weeds are controlled through changes in cultural practices such as mowing high, deep & infrequent watering, overseeding, and correcting soil imbalances. Other ways to address broad leaf weeds on a case-by-case basis include:
- Manual weeding
- Spot treating with salt or vinegar
- Heat applications
|Dangerous synthetic post-emergent herbicide such as:
- 2,4-D (ingredient in Agent Orange)
|Grubs and other soil born larvae
||Safe and natural biological control using parasitic nematodes.
||Dangerous synthetic insecticides, such as Diazinon and Merit.
||Natural based fungicides approved by OMRI for the organic food industry.
||Dangerous synthetic fungicides.
||Natural diatomaceous earth with or without pyrethrum
||Dangerous synthetic insecticides.
- Long term, thatch will naturally breakdown as the soil born micro-organism population increases.
- Short term, mechanically power raking to remove thatch buildup.
- Long term, thatch builds up quickly due to quick release chemical fertilizers.
- Short term, thatch must be mechanically power raked frequently.